Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Triple Trek Training goes Live

I've been out on the Triple Trek loop the last couple of weeks getting a handle on the challenge. It has been difficult getting back on the trails, and getting my body back to a point where I can actually train. Yesterday I went out and did a 'weight' run, with about five pounds on each ankle, and today I decided to do my first time trial. The early going was good with a 16 to the Big Bend at the top of Center trail, and a 31 to the bench at the top of Hogsback. I slowed a bit and my concentration faded a couple of times coming up Moleka, and I hit the top at about 48. It was hard going along the upper part of Manoa Cliffs, and I was breathing hard and losing my center, and I hit the Map Case at 71--ten minutes behind pace. Flew down the switch backs of Manoa Cliffs trail to Kalawahine, and was on pace until near the end, where I again began to lag. Hit Tantalus road at 1:23, dropped down Nahuina, to Mangos, and back to Center. Was at the top of Hogsback by 1:49. Hogsback is always slow going, even on the drop, and I hit the bridge at 2:14.

I was disappointed in my inability to maintain pace, but expectations are sometimes higher than ability. A 2:14 on the first timed run of the year is OK by me. Now to figure out where to cut 20 minutes of that pace.

Last year I did the triple trek in 5:58, and the year before in 5:55. I'm still hoping to break 6:00.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home