New Shoes: First Look Adidas J S5 M
I received a few pairs of shoes in today. Running season is about to kick off and there is nothing like running an old pair of trail shoes to ruin the feet and legs. I've still got a few miles in my present Adidas Supernova Trails, and I have an Asics pair that I use for hard or dry conditions right now, but I got a bit yancy and went looking for bargains on the web.
I found a pair of Adidas J S5 M trail shoes. This appears to be one of their models tha
t they sell primarily outside the US. Its not listed on the US site. Much like the pair of Hellbenders I purchased a year ago. I got a good deal on a pair of 14s and decided to go for it. I'm having a problem springing for the new Riot, the Supernova Trail replacement, which is in the 80-90 dollar range on web discount sites.
I found a pair of Adidas J S5 M trail shoes. This appears to be one of their models tha
t they sell primarily outside the US. Its not listed on the US site. Much like the pair of Hellbenders I purchased a year ago. I got a good deal on a pair of 14s and decided to go for it. I'm having a problem springing for the new Riot, the Supernova Trail replacement, which is in the 80-90 dollar range on web discount sites. Adidas J S5 M
The J S5 M's are an Orange shoe, or Pumpkin, or some kind of Safety Color. For a multi-view look try http://www.tajakoo.com/adidas/adidas78607.htm (Officially Gold, Dark Gray and Slate) They look neat, but how well they will do on the trails is another question. The toe box is fairly roomy for an Adidas shoe. However the shoe pocket is raised to the main body of the shoe with space underneath the pocket to provide cushioning. There is a pretty heavy plastic outer wrap to keep the foot firm inside the pocket, and Adidas is fairly good at engineering a stable foot.
The toe is the same type as the Response Trail and some of the old Supernova Trails. A small tongue comes off the soul and there is a thin layer of outer soft plastic around the toes. I will shoe goo to whole front end before I wear them. This will provide the impact resistance I need on Hawaii trails. I do this regularly with Adidas, and have saved a number of toes and toe nails. It doesn't look particularly elegant but when you are doing a Ultra elegant is something that keeps you going. One of these days Adidas will listen to the real runners and offer toe protection on par with the Solomon or Montrail.
I'm a bit concerned with the channels along the sole of the shoe. these pass through from side to side, so water and runny mud shouldn't be a problem, but constant exposure to wet terrain or small gravel may lead to debris getting lodged under the toe box.
Finally the heel of the shoe is harder than the Supernova. But there is some good traction on the bottom sole so time will tell.
Labels: equipment reviews, ultra running

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home