Monday, October 5, 2009

22 Hours of Peacock

Carted water up on the first trip up Long Road, and was fortunate to run into Devon just over half a mile down on the return.  We did the up and over to Dillingham airfield by 10 PM.  We did a longer return going out toward the golf balls on Gordons Loop perhaps 2+ miles in, and then returned and finished the cross-over and Long Road sections.  I said goodbye to Devon and ate.  Kept moving by walking quarter mile repeats of Long Road until the morning crew arrived.   Joined up with Cheryl and Ernest and we headed for Dillingham where we met Don and Vernon.  Did a standard loop out of Dillingham.  Vernon did great, and Don decided it was time for him to see some of the Cross-over.  We walked until we reached Endless Valley.  Peering over at the edge of the road toward the other side Vernon was in disbelief that it was that far away.  I think he said something like "I can not even comprehend walking over that far."   My reply, more factual than humor, was "Vernon, if you think it is hard to imagine here, wait until we get over there and you look up at where we are now.  Believe me when I say, you will suffer a lot more disbelief."   Shortly after Vernon decided the agree time down the cross over was done and he headed back.  Which was good since it would take him as long to get down as it took us going the Long Road.  

I finished Long Road for the second time after 2:00 PM making it somewhere around 22:00 hours of Peacocks.   24+ hours later and I have to report that I am not sore, but I can not keep my eyes open much better than just after I finished. 

There are many interesting asides to this story, but I doubt I will ever be awake enough to write them down. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home